Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

It’s The Beginning

I recently cleared my Project Management Professional (PMP) certification exam. I feel as if one milestone has been achieved and although people would accused me for being a newbie, I feel a little smug about it. Not because I want to brag, it’s just a feel of self accomplishment. I am, suffice to say, proud of myself.

104566688
I start this blog today, 13th December 2010 which is equivalent to 7th Muharram 1432 in the Hijriah calendar with one purpose; to share my experiences and knowledge in project management. Obviously this will include details on PMP preparation and exam, in line with the Project Management Institute’s objectives. I will share what I can from my point of view. But please, no questions on what specific questions were asked in the exam. It wouldn’t be ethical for any PMI member or a PMP certified person to share this information. Besides, even if you know what questions that I was given, you will not be getting the same set of questions yourselves when you sit for the exam. More on this later, when I talk about the exam itself.

For today, let’s talk about me. I would like to share why I decided to get myself certified with this credential.

First and foremost, it is the fastest way to have another certificate added into my collection; although I must admit, the other most valuable is my undergraduate degree. Ha ha ha… and probably the White Belt Six Sigma certification (although this is very much a beginner’s achievement). Next, I want to set myself apart from the rest of the job seekers out there and rise above the competition. This second reason hopefully will make my third reason come true which is to earn a little bit more than what I am getting now. But after all that, I have to admit, it is more for the sense of accomplishment and self motivation.

You might think that I am just being coy, but that is the truth. I cannot describe the feeling when I read the congratulatory message once my exam scored is calculated, telling me that I have passed the exam and I am now certified. It’s a mixture of elation and excitement and sadness and relieved, all mashed together, which hours later resulting a smug smile and impromptu laughter. Well, at least, this is what happened to me. A real person, no drama.

So, if you’re here, reading this first post, after you googled “pmp” or “pmp exam” or “project management professional” or “pmp prep”, my guess is that you have every intention to sit for the exam, and you’re scurrying the Internet for more information. More guides. More reads. More practice. And I am here, to hopefully help you with that, besides sharing with you real life example.

When I took the exam, the main reference was PMBOK Guide 4th Edition. PMBOK stands for Project Management Body of Knowledge. This guide is published by PMI and is revised every few years. More on PMBOK Guide later.

I will do my best to update this blog as frequently as I can. And have no worry, all materials shared here will be factual and referenced. Otherwise, this blog will be pointless and meaningless in helping you to achieve what you plan. For now, take a deep breath, relax and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment